These paper mache techniques are solid and will help you with other paper mache projects. (In case you don't want to make a paper mache watermelon).
* Plenty of Newspapers
* Flour, water and salt to make the paper mache and a bowl to mix it in
* Two plastic bowls
* Plenty of masking tape
* Green, yellow, brown paints and paintbrushes
* Sandpaper - optional but nice
* Some kind of a spray sealant that leaves a glossy and clear shine
Step One: Roll up the newspapers nice and tight so they fit snugly into the bowls. Put some crumpled newspapers in the bowls too. This is to ensure the bowls don't collapse if you are rough with the watermelon.
Step Two: Now start applying newspapers and masking tape until you get it roughly to the shape of a watermelon. It doesn't have to be perfect at this stage. We will really flesh it out and make it look good with the paper mache.
Step Three: Now apply strips of paper mache and go in different directions. Put it on in several layers and build up the watermelon to a nice shape. With the first layers you don't have to worry too much about wrinkles. But the last layer you should make sure is nice and smooth like the skin of a watermelon. You can even sand it gently to get it smooth before painting it.
Step Four: Now paint the whole watermelon green. Do the bottom half a standard shade of green then as you are working your way up to the top add yellow to the green in steps. So as you paint toward the top the green will be lighter and lighter. This will give it a more natural look.
Step Five: Now, using the side of a sponge, dabble on the yellow stripes. Soften these stripes by painting over them with a very weak and watery wash of green paint. This will make them look more natural.
Step Six: Finally, Spray a light coat of the Clear enamel to give it that watermelon shine.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades