Learn the hand method for applying gold leaf gild to a solid surface such as wood, stone, or metal.
• You will need imitation gold leaf, metal varnish, hot hide glue, gilder's size and brick red synthetic enamel.
• First apply the hide glue to the surface you wish to gild.
• Then apply a layer of red enamel.
• Leave for a while until the surface is dry.
• Now apply a layer of the gilder's size.
• Now quickly completely cover the surface using the imitation gold leaf, and brush off any excess gold leaf until you are left with a fairly smooth surface.
• Finally add a layer of metal varnish to complete the gild.
You should now be left with a smooth gilded surface.