Learn the hand method for applying gold leaf gild to a solid surface such as wood, stone, or metal.
• You will need imitation gold leaf, metal varnish, hot hide glue, gilder's size and brick red synthetic enamel.
• First apply the hide glue to the surface you wish to gild.
• Then apply a layer of red enamel.
• Leave for a while until the surface is dry.
• Now apply a layer of the gilder's size.
• Now quickly completely cover the surface using the imitation gold leaf, and brush off any excess gold leaf until you are left with a fairly smooth surface.
• Finally add a layer of metal varnish to complete the gild.
You should now be left with a smooth gilded surface.
It’s Black Friday week on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all of the big sales in the Gadget Hacks and Null Byte shops. And if you’ve been wanting to take some classes without going into debt, check out our best deals on online courses for a variety of skill sets. Don’t miss out on these huge discounts: